Monday, September 28, 2009

God won't give me more than I can handle??????



So this is my blog right? I have every right to say what I feel right? Great!!!


Folks, that phrase that you hear in church on the regular...that you hear from our pastors on the regular...that you hear in Gospel songs of EVERY genre...that you hear on radio shows...that you hear at awards shows...that phrase is just anti-Biblical.



I challenge anyone to find that phrase, or anything close to that phrase, or anything MEANING that phrase ANYWHERE in the Scriptures. Please find it for me because I've found that it does not exist in the Bible!


I CAN tell you what IS found in the Scriptures. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says, "The only temptation that has come to you is that which everyone has. But you can trust God, who will not permit you to be tempted more than you can stand. But when you are tempted, he will also give you a way to escape so that you will be able to stand it." - New Century Version...read your own. It says we won't be TEMPTED beyond what we can bear. It says NOTHING about trials, jobs, troubles...nothing. Nothing but temptation!


That verse has nothing to do with trials, problems, tragedy. I would say that if the phrase, "God won't give me more than I can handle" is true, then we'd have absolutely no NEED FOR CHRIST!!! If I can handle everything, why do I need Jesus? Then I can handle my own salvation! OOOOh!!! See, that don't work. Obviously WE can't handle EVERYTHING!!!


I believe the true message of the Bible, the true message behind believing in Christ, is that we are to lean on Christ for everything. And we all know the verse, Phil 4:13 - "I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me." THROUGH CHRIST!!! The real message here is to lean on Christ, not on our own power. We are not self-sufficient. The phrase is the exact opposite of Scripture!


Finally, if we're dealing with something we can't handle...then leave it up to God and allow HIM to handle what you can't!!!

4 comments:

  1. This is so true Bro. E! If we can handle everything, then why would we need GOD!

    Great revelation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Finally! I think we had this same thought around the very same period. I was laying in bed one night choking on my drama and those stupid words popped in my head, "God won't give you more than you can handle." I was like--- wait-- that's not even good theology, and furthermore where does it say it in the Bible? And what about Job? Let alone Jesus who said, "Why have you bounced?"

    If this were true...why would we need grace? No doubt atonement for sin is more than we can handle...living right is more than we can handle...loving anyone is more than we can handle...

    you catch my drift.

    Thanks for putting this heresy on blast. love you my brother.

    -Belinda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read this right now Belinda! Amen. It renders the atonement MOOT!!!! We all know that's not possible! Luv ya too!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Karlene! We NEED God, exactly!

    B! That's what I'm saying. The need for Christ would be moot! Word!

    ReplyDelete